Science

Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Hand-made honey and hand-pollinated plants.
by Barbie Kunkelova


Nobody's perfect, neither mother nature, nor the modern scientists. The honey-makers would hastily agree with me & they know too well what's going on. How sad it is that we are kept too busy by our challenging lives, so busy that we don't even take a moment to look around, to monitor the species that are slowly disappearing from the Earth's surface. And it's the bumblebees that I have on mind right now. It's not only that we couldn't tell the bumblebees are disappearing in general, it's also that we couldn't tell that it's more and more of its sorts! I can hardly imagine the kitchen without honey, a bear (and I guess that would be even harder, for I could use sugar or Splendia instead) can not imagine his forest without berries. And a farmer his garden without strawberries or his greenhouse without tomatoes. Is this due to the global warming? The pesticides? The advocates are trying to avoid the complete loss of bumblebees by asking farmers to grow more colorful flowers & in order to attract these busy animals. More and more companies get into honeybee business, as the demand increases year after year. If every farmer had to pollinate all the flowers in his garden, we would spend most of our money on groceries. I feel a little guilty, for I was only 3 years old when I killed a bunch of bumblebees. I was holding a marmalade pie and they liked the smell. They didn't enjoy me waving them off. And I didn't enjoy their stinging at all, thank you very much. I threw the pie as far as I could. Today I am a bumblebee protector & I don't eat sweets outside, never breathe when a bumblebee is around and I support their business & I eat lots of honey.

related story: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071008/ap_on_bi_ge/auto_talks;_ylt=AtIQiF.niBM_tocDwUgv4zOs0NUE
by Barbie Kunkelova
for PocketNews (http://pocketnews.tv)

PocketNews is a new real-time news broadcaster delivering the latest and hottest news right to your pocket ! With global clients who want to be kept up to date, PocketNews is everyone's way of keeping in touch with the World.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home