Science

Sunday, May 30, 2010

So short is a human memory.
by Milota Sidorova


There is one old saying. You can't understand who you are, if you don't know your past. Another one says, the future is just handling things from the past. And I add the last one – Remember. I am a member of happy generation living and growing in relative peace. I haven't tasted the war (thanks God) and I enjoy the fruits of democracy (although I have some objections against the system) and more less believe in positive future (however, I am worried about the environmental and economy problems). But still I can be happy to go to school, to go to work to walk the streets without a fear (except of increasing number of extremists in European region).But when I speak with! my grandfather, it is like speaking with the ghost. He has survived both world wars and the circumstances of these days seem just different to him. He was one of million who feared their lives, lost all the money during hyperinflation and was forced to give up his property. When I speak of him I see survivor, sometimes it's so bitter I can't help my tears, sometimes I feel anger about the cruelty of war and regimes that took over millions of Europeans.Comparing his experiences my fears about mortgages or better position seem to be only a buzz. He is my mirror, I reflect the real life in his words. What If it happened and the war would taken over me? What if I lost all my hopes for better career, house or freedom? What would happened then?Would I become a monster watching only my own good?I think this is happening even with my generation. Young people seem to be much too lost in the noise of consumption. They care just for the clothes, image and iPhones. Sometimes I doubt ! they can even talk about anything but themselves, sex, money a! nd viole nce. This dump minded consumer is definitely in.So little do they think about the past. So little do they think that the war can start during the peace. They are so careless they don't even notice the real enemy – they are loosing their souls and humanity and few years later as aged people they drow in depressions or divorces or another civilization illnesses. I don't know, but people of my generation don't even consider holocaust or world war a real thing – they don't notice their grandparents and their words. I believe they are becoming blind – and how can blind people lead our generation into the better future?Media, politicians, businessmen – they all seem to talk about war as a normal, natural thing – like it is just a walk or a glass of a water. I am worried about devaluing the importance of meaning the word – war. Boredom and apathy is our daily bread. We need violence to comfort ourselves. We eat false pictures of war in the movies! , we praise agression in every aspect of our lives. I am afraid of this... I feel trapped between horrors of my grandfather's saying and the horrors of behavior of a 21st century modern man.

related story (sgx17419): http://www.france24.com/en/20100527-flotilla-sails-dunkirk-7...
by Milota Sidorova
for Cantell TV (http://cantell.tv)

Cantell TV is the fastest growing provider of digital broadcasting coupled with telecommunications, allowing people to easily control, view, upload and share digital content through proprietary interface coupled with free phone calls. Cantell TV is committed to delivering infinite choices to ! your world of entertainment at the tip of your fingers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home